Sunday, February 27, 2011

Gym Workout - Weights and Precor 100i Elliptical/Stepper

This will sort of be my Tolstoyish entry.  I went to the gym and did an hour workout and then did cardio.  I ran the watch for the weight workout and then the cardio.

Weight Workout at Gym

FYI, when I say 3 sets, my first set, I try to do at least 10, my second set I try to get close to ten and my third set I do as many as I can, but at the very least 5.

Here is my routine I completed today:
  • 5 minute jog to the gym from my apartment
  • Strecthing
  • Shoulder Press w/ Dumbbells 30lbs each hand, 3 sets
  • One arm rows with dumbbell, 45lbs, 3 sets
  • Dumbbell Bench Press/Fly (I twist the dumbbell on the way up and bring them together making a hybrid of the two exercises), 45lbs each hand, 3 sets
  • Icarian Leg Press - 90lbs each side (2x45lb plates a side), 3 sets
  • Icarian Calf Raise - 55 lbs in plates, 3 sets
  • Preacher Curl - 75lbs, 3 sets (25 lb plate on each side, curl bar is usually 25lbs)
  • Abcoaster Elite Machine (spelled as typed), 20lbs addon on each side (max allowed), 3 sets
  • Push Down with v bar at Icarian Cable Station - 80lbs, 3 sets
So here are the stats for the workout:

Avg HR = 123 bpm
Peak HR = 161 bpm
K Burned = 600
Time of Workout = 55 minutes, 23 seconds


Cardio Workout - Precor 100i

The Precor 100i is sort of a hybrid between an elliptical and a stepper.  You can control stride length to do a stepping motion (least width in stride), jog (medium) or running (large stride).  It has the moving handles that go with the steps as well to give your upper body something to do.  This is the one that has the yellow steps you see in many gyms.  What's nice is the machine also picks up your chest strap and so I did not have to reach down to check my heart rate.  It gave a constant heart rate and that matched what my watch was getting since they both had the same source.

I did the "Fat Burner" workout, which last 28 minutes.  I changed the lower resistant bars up to a level 6 and the higher resistant part of the workout up to a 12 (both are out of 20).  As the heart rate info was the sameon the machine and watch, all I can compare is the calories (k) burned.

Avg HR = 145 bpm
Peak HR = 159 bpm
K Burned (watch) = 416
K Burned (Precor 100i) = 347

As you can see the machine is more conservative with my watch with the same info.  The machine has the added benefit of knowing my resistance and my actual age, which i entered.  Both the watch and machine had my weight.  At any rate, it seems my watch may be a bit aggressive with the calories burned, and so you may want to take a grain of slat with some of the results I have been getting.

No comments:

Post a Comment