Saturday, February 19, 2011

Cardio X & Ab Ripper X

Today I did cardio x, took a 30 minute break and then did ab ripper x.  I was at starbucks before working out.  Starbucks coffee has a lot of caffeine.  Even after a 60-90 minute break after finishing my coffee, my heart rate was elevated at the start of the cardio x workout.  I was starting at 106 or so.  This just shows you what caffeine and supplements like no-xplode can do to your workouts.  In moderation they can increase your hr and thus calories burned, but of course with too much (and this varies from individual to individual) they can put too much strain on your heart and send you way over your zone.  For cardio X I have nothing to compare it to yet, but for ab ripper x, notice my avg hr was up and my calories burned was an extra 40 than usual.  Another explanation is that I usually do these workouts later at night, hours removed from any caffeine (I cut myself off of caffeine by 1pm every day normally).

Cardio X

Cardio X is a supplemental routine in the P90x system for those that want extra hard training or feel they need to burn extra calories in a particular day or week.  Since for many it will be an extra workout, it is slightly shorted, at around 43 minutes.  It is a hybrid of (in this order) warm up, ballistic yoga manuevers (sun salutations and warrior poses), kenpo, plyometrics, and finally core work before a cool down.  Each unit takes 3-5 moves from the P90x workout.  If you're not feeling doing just one type of workout, this is a nice change of pace, expecially if you don't have as much time.  You get a little bit of everything.  You get the fun of Kenpo, the loosening from yoga, and the heart rate spikes from plyo.

Avg HR = 135 bpm
Peak HR = 167bpm
Calories Burned = 568

Ab Ripper X

For the life of me, I'm not sure when I will be able to do the entire routine, but I will say even at my 70% or so, my abs are starting to look great (of course doing core synergistics and yoga are helping too). 

Avg HR = 123 bpm
Peak HR = 149 bpm (a new record courtesy of starbucks, lol)
Calories Burned = 180 (again new record courtesy of Starbucks caffeine)

I will caution, that caffeine and supplements that spike your heart rate are in general not a good idea, since if your heart rate spikes too much you can get dizzy or even pass out.  In rare occasions extreme amounts have lead to death (think FDA banning ephedra in supplements that were supposed to make you ripped).  Despite my increased calories burned and heart rate, in the future I will wait longer after consuming caffeine (and even longer if it is Starbucks).  I could only imagine what would have happened if I attempted a complete plyo workout.  For now take today's results with a grain of salt and I will try to repeat cardio x at a later date.

1 comment:

  1. Best Article Merry Xmax Excellent post. I appreciate this site. Stick with it! Because the admin of this web page is working, no doubt very quickly it will be well-known, due to its quality contents.This website was how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally, I’ve found something that helped me.

    Best Article Buy Pain relief medications online Excellent post. I appreciate this site. Stick with it! This website was how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally, I’ve found something that helped me.

    ReplyDelete