Thursday, February 10, 2011

Yoga X (P90x0

The P90x is a 1 hour and 32 minute workout.  The first 50 minutes or so are ballistic yoga moves (i.e. constant shifting between positions).  You can actually burn a fair amount of calories and get your heart rate up a little bit (not cardio levels, but possibly up to fat burn levels at some points).  After that they go into balance poses (i.e. tree, crane, etc.).  I make good use of my $8 yoga block I bought on Amazon.com to help with the balancing.  Then there are some yoga style stretches, with a fair amount for the back.  After these stretches they do a 7 or 8 minute core/ab workout Tony calls Yoga Belly 7.  After that you go into some more general leg and glute stretches, and then your deep breathing/relaxation finish with some "ohms."  I have to say with the eyes being closed and deep breathing at the end, despite how hard you work in the first half, you feel completely relaxed at the end.  I used the chest strap because I felt with the first half being constant movement and the whole workout being difficult maneuvers that challenge your core and balance, there might be times your heart rate spikes and calories get burnt.  I figured at the very least a 300 calories given the first 50 minutes.

Avg HR = 97
Peak HR = 126
Calories Burned =   562 (basically 6 calories a minute, which seems realistic since cardio workouts do at least 10/minute usually.  Obviously if yoga was just an hour like Kenp, I'd be sitting at around 350 calories, almost half the amount I burned in Kenpo).

1 comment:

  1. useful information on topics that plenty are interested on for this wonderful post.Admiring the time and effort you put into your b!.. yoga clothes

    ReplyDelete