Friday, April 22, 2011

P90x - Shoulders & Arms Workout and then Ab Ripper X

I decided to try the Shoulders and Arms workout since the only extra items you need for that one are resistance bands and a chair.  I cannot install the pullup bar anywhere in my apartment and so this will be the only muscle workout I post.  I took a five minute break and then went into an Ab Ripper routine.  I started the routine at 7:10pm.

P90x - Shoulders & Arms

This workout has around 8 or 9 minutes worth or warming up and stretching out muscles.  Then, similar to plyometrics, it has series of 3 exercises that you do two cycles of.  It goes, shoulder exercise, bicep exercise, tricep exercise, repeat.  Then there is ballistic stretching, and then a new set of 3 exercises fitting that criteria until around 4 minutes left, where you cool down and stretch again.  It is a decent workout, and I wish I had had a full set of weights to improve my performance and jack up my heart rate some more (as well as build more muscle).  I'd use the heaviest resistance bands you can find to increase your performance.

Time = 1 hour
Avg HR = 106 bpm
Peak HR = 143 bpm
K Burned = 465

I will say that my heart rate started to really climb into the 120s steadily in the last 20 minutes.  It took awhile to get it going, but it did finally get there.  I wonder if using 30 pound dumbbells would have improved that category, instead of my 20 lb resistance band with loops.

It is also important to remember that since this is not a cardio workout, but rather a muscle building workout, many calories will continue to be burned in the 2 hours or so after the workout as well.  Therefore, this may be one of those rare scenarios where my watch is accurate or under-reporting instead of being too aggressive.

See here for muscle workout calorie info:  http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseworkouts/f/muscle.htm

Ab Ripper X

Since I was doing a workout right before this, I did not do a warmup.

Avg HR = 114 bpm
Peak HR = 141 bpm
K Burned = 149

No comments:

Post a Comment