Sunday, April 10, 2011

Gym Workout w/ Precor 576i

I wanted to try another eSpinner workout today, but unfortunately, the one that recognized my heart rate monitor had a broken touch screen.  I ended up on a Precor 576i, which seems to be the one machine in the gym that does not work with my watch.  Today I ran errands before going to the gym, so there is no 5 minute jog to get my heart rate up before the workout.

Weight Training
  • 5 minutes of stretching
  • 3 sets of dumbbell chest press/flies @ 50lbs each hand
  • 3 sets of one armed dumbbell rows @ 50lbs
  • 3 sets dumbbell shoulder press @ 30 lbs
  • 3 sets Icarian Leg Press @ 90lbs of plates on each side for a total of 180lbs added weight
  • 3 sets rope pulldown on Icarian cable system @ 90lbs
  • 3 sets of seated calf raises on Icarian machine @ 70lbs of plates
  • 3 sets of preacher curls @ 75lbs
Time = 44 mins
Avg HR = 118 bpm
Peak HR = 148 bpm
K Burned = 438

Cardio - Precor 576i
 Since the my heart rate monitor is not picked up and the hand sensors are not on the moving arms due to some short-sighted designing, all I can compare is the calories burned, which may be inaccurate since it cannot read my heart rate.  However, my watch can never read resistance levels, so perhaps it evens out.  For this workout, I selected the "Weight Loss" workout.  It is a default 28 minute workout with 5 minute cool down for a total of 33 minutes.  You have to enter your age and weight after the workout starts by hitting the options button.  I gradually shifted the resistance up, ultimately to 17 of 20 to get my heart rate close to 150bpm.  I did okay at doing that.  In general, the weight loss workout shifts between a flat level and a slightly steep incline throughout. 

Time = 33 mins (including 5 min cool down)
Avg HR = 141 bpm
Peak HR = 159 bpm
K Burned = 357 (576i); 473 (watch)

My watch, as occurs 9 out of 10 times, was quite aggressive in the calorie count.  It's hard to say if the machine is low-balling, my watch is way too aggressive, or if the answer lies somewhere in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment